Thursday, September 19, 2013

Time for a Change in Slugville...


Dear Slug Tennis Family,

We are approaching the start of yet another season in Slugville! As many of you are already aware I will not be returning to coach the Slugs this upcoming year. This will be my last entry in gratitude for the amazing journey I have had with this one of a kind program. When Bob Hansen had originally called me with the idea of taking over as head coach, while he was in conversation with Middlebury College, I didn't know what to think. I knew at the time I wanted to become a teacher, working with kids was my passion, but when would I have an opportunity like this ever again? After some serious thought and deliberation I decided to go for it, making a commitment to myself to coach the next two seasons with everything I had.

These past two years have been some of the most growth filled years of my life. I can honestly say I did the very best job I could have done, reaping more benefits than I could have ever imagined. The lessons learned, the skills acquired, and most importantly the relationships built, are all things I will take with me for the rest of my life. 

I would like to take a second to thank the man who started Slug Tennis 30+ years ago, Bob Hansen. One of the most amazing people that I have ever met, Bob has had more positive influence over my life than I could ever articulate. He built this exceptional tennis program from the ground up, ingrained to its very core with character, heart, strength, and love. I know I am one of hundreds who are grateful for all that Bob has done, having had so much positive impact over so many people.

A sincere thank you to all the players I have had the privilege of working with these past eight years. Going through this experience with you guys, with the kind of depth that Slug Tennis provides, is what has made this whole journey worth while. You guys are and will always be family to me. Lastly I want to thank the entire Slug Tennis community. The support I felt from my very first day was profound, without you this program could not function.  

Upon exit I ask two things of all of you who have supported Slug Tennis over the years. If Slug Tennis has had any positive impact in your life I am going to ask you to write a letter to the people in charge of this University. Whether you are a parent, alumni, fan, or donor, please consider taking some time to let these people know your story. Even a short email of a few paragraphs would add immensely in this effort. As many of you are aware the UCSC athletic program is the most underfunded and under staffed athletic program in the country. When taking on this job two years ago I was offered $10,000 without benefits, a common package for most coaches here at UCSC. On top of that the University provides roughly $10,000 for each teams operating budget, teams are expected to fundraise the rest. It is clear to me that this kind of financial support is absolutely inappropriate and unacceptable. It is time for a change, only possible if we all work together in this effort.  

I have written to all of the newspapers in the bay area, including the three people listed below, in hopes of bringing attention and change to this situation. Keep in mind that this is not the fault of the athletic program here at UCSC. It is the decision of those who run this University in terms of how they financially support their athletic program. In my letter to those listed below I emphasized what programs like Slug Tennis do for the student-athletes, for the tennis community, for this University. I told them how a program like this has lasting impact over student-athletes for the rest of their lives. I made it clear that $25,000 with minimal benefits should be the absolute minimum any head coach at UCSC should receive. This University needs to provided their employees with the bare essentials to survive, with an opportunity to do their work and have positive impact over these student-athletes.

Please take some time to write a letter or email to those listed below:

Chancellor Blumenthal:
Chancellor’s Office
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Chancellor@ucsc.edu

Vice Chancellor Alison Galloway:
Chancellor’s Office
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Gallow@ucsc.edu

Assoc. Vice Chancellor Alma Sifuentes:
1156 High St-Hahn Bldg
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
alma@ucsc.edu


Lastly I ask that you continue to support Slug Tennis like you have always done. I recently spoke with the new head coach, Christian De Jesus Nazario, and was absolutely inspired with his optimism and determination in taking over this program. His passion and commitment to coach and lead these young men, embracing the given challenges, clearly demonstrates his character. I ask that you show the same support to him that you showed to me upon arrival. 100% of all donations made to UCSC Men’s Tennis will go directly to the Men’s Tennis budget, to help pay for travel, equipment, among other necessities to run this tennis program. The Slug Tennis family is one of a kind, thank you all so much for everything,

Sincerely, 

Bryce Parmelly

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Bird,

Well said. Thank you for all that you have done for me, my teammates, and this program. There was nothing more fun than lacing up to play for you. Your influence and guidance will always stay with us. Those kids are going to be in for a treat with you as a teacher. The hunt for #8 continues with the young Slugs.

Appreciatively,

Sam Rodgers

September 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home